Annual summer mission trips in local, national and international settings instill a passion for active service in students as they act as Christ’s hands and feet in the world. In 2011, the youth traveled to Pippa Passas, Kentucky (near Hindman) to rehab houses. In 2010, they went to Caguas, Puerto Rico, to paint, clean and otherwise prepare for the coming school year in and around a church, school and community center. Worshiping, praying and sharing fellowship with the members of these communities allowed students to see the face of Christ in those they served.
2013 Summer Mission Trip
From July 28 through August 3, Holy Cross youth will be working in the city of Memphis, Tennessee. Mornings will be spent rehabbing houses and afternoons sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ to children of the area in a Vacation Bible School setting. The evenings will feature Bible study and discussing and processing the highs and lows from throughout the day. Every youth participant will be challenged with leadership responsibilities throughout the week.
Why Take a Mission Trip?
We are going on a mission trip to share the love of Christ through serving others outside our community. This trip will be more than a time of service; anyone can serve another person. While on the trip, we will learn the meaning of serving others, while growing in our faith and developing leadership skills.
- Service: We will learn how to put our call to serve others into action. Students will be assigned to work on home restoration and a variety of other ministries within the community.
- Spiritual Growth: The students will develop individual Bible study methods, grow closer as fellow Holy Cross members and learn the importance of community in faith.
- Leadership: Through the assigned tasks, local community involvement and labor, this trip will help build confidence, motivation and broaden world view of participating students.
Holy Cross is once again working with Carol Stream-based LeaderTreks to coordinate this mission experience due to their Christ-centered approach and awesome staff members. In addition, they have a great outreach to the many local churches and ministries in the Memphis area, allowing us to intentionally serve the community with the assistance of members of the community and the LeaderTreks staff.
TM13 Important Updates
ButterBraids (November 2012)
Pie Shoppe (November 2012)
Astronaut Training -Parent Night Out- (January 2013)
Easter Breakfast (Sunday, March 31, 2013)
Silent Auction/Dinner (Saturday, May 4, 2013) -Rescheduled for 2014-
Final payments are due on Sunday, June 16. Please make checks payable to "Holy Cross" with the remaining balance. A final updated statement will be available to collect on Sunday, June 2.
There are a few ways to still make money, including...
- Holy Cross Congregation Chores are available for students that can do yard work/spring cleaning. If interested please contact Jake Bower. More information to come.
- Support Letters are an opportunity for you to express to others the importance of this trip, how you will be serving God's Kingdom and invite others to support you in our mission. Contact Jake Bower to receive resources to help.
If you have been collecting money from babysitting, yard work, etc. please be sure to turn that money in to Jake Bower so you can have an accurate and up-to-date statement.
TM13 Coffee Hour
On Sunday, June 16, during coffee hour (9:45-10:45 a.m.) our TM13 crew will be hosting coffee hour as a thank you for all the support and prayers for our trip to Memphis. If your student is going on the trip and cannot make it to the coffee hour, please contact Jake Bower
How to help...
Donate cookies, coffee cake, juice or other treats.
Our students have done an incredible job this year and I am so very proud of them. I am especially grateful to our parents and Holy Cross family for their constant support and encouragement. There is much to look forward to this summer and it is by God's grace that we have the privilege to serve those in need and to spread His kingdom. Thanks be to God!
Director of Ministry to Children and Youth
Holy Cross Lutheran Church